What Are Cochlear Implants?
Cochlear implants are often a next solution for our patients, when their hearing aids are not providing enough assistance. Many people start by wearing two hearing aids. However, as hearing loss progresses, you may need something more. To improve your hearing performance and help you understand more clearly, you may need to consider a solution that helps you hear your best with both ears. For many, a cochlear implant in one ear and a hearing aid in the other can provide a richer more natural hearing experience. This combination is referred to as bimodal hearing.
At Raleigh Hearing and Tinnitus Center, we conduct candidacy evaluations to determine if an implant might be right for you. We also support recipients of cochlear implants by meeting their needs for initial activation, interim programming, troubleshooting, upgrades, and even equipment orientation.
how do cochlear implants work?
Cochlear implants work in a completely different way than hearing aids! Instead of making sounds louder, they use electrical signals to stimulate your hearing nerve. Things may sound different at first, but as your brain learns to understand what it's hearing, you can understand much better than with hearing aids!
To learn more, check out this video:
Signs That Hearing Aids May Not Be Providing enough benefit:
With hearing aids, do you:
• Have difficulty hearing conversations, especially with background noise?
• Often ask people to repeat themselves?
• Often misunderstand what people say?
• Have trouble hearing on the telephone?
• Turn up the volume on the TV louder than others in the room prefer?
• Feel people often mumble when they talk?
• Struggle to hear sounds of nature such as birds chirping or rain falling?
• Find yourself agreeing, smiling or nodding during conversations when you’re not sure what’s been said?
• Regularly withdraw from conversations because it’s too difficult to hear?
• Read lips to understand what people are saying?
If you think you may need a cochlear implant or are curious if it would help you, contact our office today!